Please take notice...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'll probably make a bit of money through the links that you follow. It helps keep this page alive. That said, I'll only post links to companies and individuals that have provided exceptional service and great products.

Wednesday 5 December 2018

Counting blessings - my 7-point checklist

In my line of work, I deal with people from all parts of society. Some come from money, some not. Some have GREAT circumstances and some barely survive. What gets my goat, however, are what I call the "fatties & moanies", the ones that incessantly complain about EVERYTHING!

Before I dare complain about my life, I go through a 7-point check list:

  • Do I have food in my tummy?

Have I had at least one warm meal today? Or a decent bowl of food?

  • Do I have clean clothes on my back?

Is the clothes that I am wearing whole and clean? Is it warm enough?

  • Do I have a roof over my head at night?

This can be my own place, a friend's couch or even a bus stop!

  • Do I have a means to earn an income?

Note that this is not a formal "job". I mean exactly what I have written here. If the means is to pick up enough recyclables to hand in for some bread money every day, then that be it!

  • Can I get to where I need to be?

Can I drive, take public transport or hitch or borrow a ride? Can I walk?

  • Am I healthy?

That's at least half the battle won.

  • Do I have at least one person who cares about me?

One has to be really evil to not have anyone care about you.
ANYTHING else is a God-given bonus.

Never underestimate people's generosity to someone who is genuinely in need. However, if that generosity is not met with gratitude, it will not be extended again. With gratitude, I don't mean money. I've been without money enough myself to know that it is not the end of the world. Gratitude can be expressed by helping around the house of wherever you are staying without having to be asked. Gratitude can be expressed by getting sober and doing something special for society. And gratitude can be expressed by the simple act of paying it forward and blessing someone else.

Back to my project...

I have only realized it now, but Agterplaas Boerdery (Backyard Farm) IS a way for me to pay forward all the gifts that I have received in the past. It is not just a way for me to earn some cash by growing and selling all kinds of interesting fruit and vegetables, but it will ultimately be a place from where I can educate others to live sustainably on an extremely small budget by using recyclables and by harvesting seed from a previous season's crop to plant a new batch. I not only want to hand out produce, but also seed and knowledge, so that a next generation of backyard farmers is able to feed themselves, their family and maybe one or two others besides.



No comments:

Post a Comment