Please take notice...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'll probably make a bit of money through the links that you follow. It helps keep this page alive. That said, I'll only post links to companies and individuals that have provided exceptional service and great products.

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Ethics of Permaculture: People Care

Be considerate of everyone's time, interests, thoughts and actions, including your own.
(The Permaville Handbook)

When you are passionate about something, it is easy to forget that others may not share in your enthusiasm. Being too aggressive can alienate others and do a lot of damage not only to the cause of Permaculture in general, but also to the way in which people view your own project.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, Permaculturalists are a diverse group of people. We have different political views, religious beliefs and even diets! And as much as some of us wish we don't have to, we all have to function within a larger society.

My biggest critic in this endeavor of mine is - strangely enough - my mom! I know she loves me and she doesn't want to see me lose money or be destitute, so I don't take the barbs too personally. (It's not always easy, believe me!) Knowing where she comes from (a so-called "Baby Boomer") helps me to understand her mindset and her fears and whenever I bring this topic up, I start where she is at. Helping her understand also helps her support me and it leads to a lot less conflict in the family.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about having an elevator pitch for my backyard farming project. I never considered it a part of "people care" until now.

The two biggest advantages of such a statement are that it saves time and keeps one from boring others to death. Those who are genuinely interested, will then ask the right questions and those who aren't will answer with something like "Oh, OK," and then you will know to move on to the next topic.

Another aspect to take into consideration is that Permaculture flies in the face of what most people consider to be "normal". No matter what you do, others will consider it to be either "a bit backward" or "anti-establishment". There is also the matter of ego: your act of leaving the so-called "rat race" (where the winner is still a rat!) to start - or simply continue - something else makes others seem inadequate. And it's easier to (try to) bring someone else down than to step out of one's comfort zone towards achieving something different, yourself!

Therefore, being aware of where someone else might be ACTING from, would also lead to a better understanding and not wanting to retaliate in kind. Always remember that Karma is a female canine, and her bites are extremely painful. Rather let her handle matters than take those matters into your own hands and have to carry your own set of consequences.

Finally...

Being involved in Permaculture already sets me apart from everyone else, even if I haven't properly started on my project yet. I think differently and I act differently. Instead of looking at another person as a problem that may or may not get solved, I already visualize the potential outcome from that person following in my alternative footsteps. I already have immense power within me to change the world as I know it. The responsibility lies in teaching others that they have that same power and that it does not have to be an intimidating process, but small steps, taken one at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment