Please take notice...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'll probably make a bit of money through the links that you follow. It helps keep this page alive. That said, I'll only post links to companies and individuals that have provided exceptional service and great products.

Saturday 1 December 2018

What people ask from me

Working in a small community library isn't always a quiet, pleasant experience. Most people think that I spend my days reading, but - unfortunately, sometimes - large chunks of my day are taken up by dealing with people.

I think people see library people the same way as they see their hairdressers. Because reading is such a personal part of most people's lives, they reckon that by being able to suggest the right books at the right time, I might also have special insight into the rest of their lives. I probably do. But being a lay therapist is really, really exhausting.

I know who sleeps with whom. I know whose grandkids are colicky or have just finished their potty training or high school career. I know who had to arrange a shotgun wedding and whose son is in rehab for the squillionth time. (Yes, I know that's not a real word - it just sounds nice!) I know who "runs into doors" frequently and whose husbands drink and gamble away the household money.

The positive side is that I also see the success stories. The battles won against cancer and drug addictions. The women who leave their abusive spouses and come back a year or two later sporting wide and genuine smiles. The couples who make a genuine go of their marriages, despite the odds and misgivings at the start of their journey together.

So that would probably make me the community hub. I don't mind. I don't have a television at home. Sometimes life is better than a soap opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment